13.12.10

In Profile: Reem Kanj as PUMA Ambassador

Reem Kanj, a budding fashion designer has recently been chosen by PUMA to be their Middle East brand ambassador as part of their global initiative. A first of its kind, not only is this exciting news for the Middle East, it also portrays the importance of embracing the culture you have a presence in. We at Malone could not be more happier to see international brands collaborate with Middle Eastern talent to promote their brand. It is about time other brands follow suit and grow towards this direction to appeal to its local customer. Reem Kanj, kindly talks to us about her experience with PUMA during her stay in Dubai.







When did all this happen?

I was approached  by PUMA 2 months ago to represent them as a brand ambassador. I have been a die hard PUMA fan ever since I was a child, so being given the chance to represent them was an absolute honour. I was over the moon with excitement, because for me, it was a chance to showcase my creative side as someone who had a background in fashion and textiles.

Tell us about your experience at the PUMA creative factory.

The entire project was so much fun and refreshing to begin with. Meeting the other 15 ambassadors and working together in the same room felt like being in a chemistry lab at school. Only thing is, we were allowed to go wild with our ideas and inspirations, so the room was buzzing with energy and positivity. Fun is definitely the word I would use to describe this experience; it was the perfect way to end the year for me.



What inspired you to come up with the design of the sneakers?

We were called to the factory at such short notice. At first, I found it a bit daunting when I realized I had to design the shoes from scratch, as I was unsure of the design procedures PUMA followed. However, upon seeing the array of different fabrics, colors, cuts and shapes, I knew what I had in mind.
Essentially, it was important for me to come up with a design that represented my personality as a person and a fashion designer for my brand, House of Rena. Always think of the basic elements that identify you and then build on from there. The colors pink, white and grey represented my brand, so I knew what colors I wanted to use. Not to mention how fun and feminine these colors were, so I was definitely pleased with the look.

Moving on to the fabric, I mixed it up a bit. The feel of suede was very appealing to me. I used suede for the front and side part of the sneakers, and incorporated leather on the back for durability. The look was finished off with white laces to give the sneakers a fresh and crisp look.




What responsibilities do you have as the brand Ambassador for PUMA.

In addition to being directly involved in the design process, part of my duties will naturally be to partake in press opportunities and public appearances for PUMA. I am very pleased to have been picked as an ambassador, and I see this as an ongoing supportive relationship between the both of us.  












You can connect with Reem via the following links:

Malone Fashion (UAE's first retail industry blogger)
xoxo

1 comment: